Like the song says, “It ain’t over yet.” In fact, the World Well being Organization warned Monday, that “the worst is however to come,” referring to the coronavirus pandemic.
Six months given that the new coronavirus outbreak, and the death toll has surpassed 500,000 with the quantity of confirmed infections topping 10 million. Here in the U.S., a number of states recorded record highs this week, including where I live right here in California as effectively as in Florida and Texas. In a June 23 hearing just before the Property Power and Commerce Committee, Anthony Fauci, a member of the White Home coronavirus task force, referred to as the next couple of weeks “vital” for controlling the spread.
Baby boomers need to pay focus. While, facts about COVID-19 keeps evolving, one particular point hasn’t changed. Older adults are at higher risk of severe illness and death from the coronavirus. Take note: Eight out of ten COVID-19-related deaths reported in the United States have been amongst adults aged 65 years and older, according to the CDC.
With all of this in thoughts, you may perhaps want to look at some of the latest CDC updates for older adults:
* If you are below 65 and assume you happen to be out of the woods, think again. The Centers for Illness Manage and Prevention (CDC) in June expanded its warning of who is most at risk for extreme illness from COVID-19, dropping 65 as the age-precise threshold for when danger increases in adults. To put it simply, as you age, your danger for severe illness from COVID-19 increases. When these 85 and older are at the greatest danger, individuals in their 50s are frequently at greater risk for serious illness than persons in their 40s. And men and women in their 60s or 70s are at larger threat for severe illness than folks in their 50s.
* The CDC has updated its official list of COVID-19 symptoms. Warning indicators of the illness contain: fever or chills cough shortness of breath or difficulty breathing fatigue muscle or physique aches headache new loss of taste or smell sore throat congestion or runny nose nausea or vomiting and diarrhea. Symptoms that require quick healthcare interest include things like: difficulty breathing persistent pain or stress in the chest new confusion inability to wake or remain awake and bluish lips or face. Maintain in mind, in older adults (aged 65 and older), standard body temperature can be reduce than in younger adults. For this cause, fever temperatures can also be lower in older adults which indicates it may be much less noticeable.
* The CDC also clarified which underlying conditions are most connected with COVID-19 hospitalizations and death. On the expanded list: chronic kidney disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary illness (COPD), obesity (BMI of 30 or higher), a weakened immune method, type two diabetes, sickle cell illness and heart circumstances, such as heart failure, coronary artery illness or cardiomyopathies. Therefore far, the leading 3 underlying overall health circumstances amongst coronavirus sufferers are cardiovascular illness, diabetes and chronic lung illness.
* With the increasing price of infections, let’s speak masks. They have some cool seeking cloth face coverings these days, but which provide the best protection? 1 of the most essential attributes you have to have are several layers of fabric, which are far better than only one particular, Richard Wenzel, M.D., infectious diseases epidemiologist and emeritus professor of internal medicine at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond. states in an post for Consumers Reports. Mayo Clinic agrees that “cloth masks ought to include things like numerous layers of fabric.” A basic rule of thumb is that thicker, denser fabrics will do a superior job than thinner, far more loosely woven ones. dr dan stock , for instance, which has a tight weave, might be a great option, Wenzel adds. If you strategy to acquire a mask on the internet make confident it is made with tightly woven fabric and fits snugly, totally covering your mouth and nose, wrapping beneath your chin as an anchor.
* Staying wholesome is generally significant, but even more so in the course of this pandemic. The CDC recommends that older adults obtain suggested flu and pneumonia vaccinations, eat healthful, remain active, stay away from excessive alcohol use, and get lots of sleep. It’s also important to study to cope with the anxiety that comes from a pandemic in a healthful way. Take breaks from the news, embrace your spirituality, stay connected with loved ones, take time to unwind and do something you delight in, and practice deep breathing.
* Federal overall health officials are bracing for the fall, when the flu and COVID-19 will be circulating at the identical time. Last week, the CDC’s Redfield urged the public to be ready and “to embrace” the flu vaccine. “This single act will save lives,” he said. The CDC is also creating a test that can simultaneously test for flu and COVID-19.
So, are we getting any fun yet?
Yes, I realize. This is difficult. We miss our grandchildren, concerts in the park, eating out, and gatherings with friends. The additional relaxed, devil-could-care attitude numerous are displaying appropriate now can be contagious. Having said that, we boomers should be further vigilant.
The CDC recommends avoiding activities exactly where taking protective measures may well be difficult, such as activities where social distancing can not be maintained. “In common, the more persons you interact with, the much more closely you interact with them, and the longer that interaction, the larger your threat of receiving and spreading COVID-19,” their internet site states.