Probiotics are essential to the proper functioning of the digestive system. Rejuvelac is a tested probiotic drink loaded with all the organisms required for strengthening your digestive system. It also helps in balancing the flora in the digestive tract. So how to prepare your own probiotic with cabbage? Here is the guide to make the most of cabbage to improve your digestive system!
Cabbage is loaded with lacto-bacteria. In fact, it can itself initiate lacto-fermentation without any need for a starter.
- Cabbage – 3 cups (fresh and sliced)
- Water – 1st time 1-3/4 cups; later on 1-1/2 cups along with quarter cup of rejuvelac (fresh)
Avoid the use of chlorinated water, as chorine will kill all organisms, even the good bacteria!
Preparing 1st Set of Rejuvelac
Duration: 3 days
- Mix the water and chopped cabbage into a blender
- Blend at low speed and gradually increase speed (10 sec) (blend to shred, not to liquefy)
- Remove the mixture into a quart jar with a lid (Don’t fill the jar fully. Leave some space at the top so that the liquid can expand. Close the jar tightly)
- Let the mixture remain at room temperature for 72 hours
- Remove the liquid into a jar and get rid of the cabbage (Keep it in the fridge. You may also use it for making other recipes including sauerkraut. Even the cabbage leftovers can be used).
This liquid is the rejuvelac which is loaded with all the healthy probiotics.
Preparing 2nd Set of Rejuvelac
Now prepare the next set of rejuvelac. Take quarter cup of the freshly prepared rejuvelac and prepare the next set from it. All the next sets can be prepared in just 1 day each.
- Add 3 cups of fresh, chopped cabbage into 1-1/2 cups of pure water
- Blend the mixture – starting with slow speed and then increasing it for 10 secs
- Remove the blended mixture into a glass far with lid
- Add a quarter cup of the freshly prepared rejuvelac from the first set
- Give some room for the liquid to expand and keep it at room temperature for 24 hours
- Remove the liquid portion from the mixture and keep it in another jar
Blender-less Cabbage Rejuvelac
- Finely chopped cabbage – 2-1/2 cups
- Water – 1-3/4 cups
- Take the cabbage and add to the water in a glass jar
- Repeat the steps mentioned above
What’s the Taste of Cabbage Rejuvelac?
A sip of cabbage rejuvelac gives you the touch of something that goes between a yogurt-based whey and carbonated water. Avoid any rejuvelac that gives a rotten taste and smell. Make sure to keep it in the fridge to maintain its freshness. But don’t drink it if its older than 24 hours after being removed from the cabbage.
Take half cup of the probiotic drink 3 times a day with your meals.
What to do with the Cabbage?
- Use the leftover cabbage for adding to a veggie stew
- Prepare a scrumptious treat with meats by adding some chopped garlic, ocean sea salt and lemon juice
- Prepare kimchi with it
- Prepare boiled dinner comprising of ham hocks and other veggies